Declaractive 3D Goals
In starting any new effort, it is important to identify the goals of the project. Goals are important because they provide a focus for the most desired outcome. They are not necessarily the destination of a project, as there are a number of factors that may limit (or expand) the initial goals.
I am working on developing the standard for the next generation of declarative 3D graphics. The current version is called X3D. At this time that name I am using for this is X3D V4. Final naming is not up to me.
- Very long life to support physical objects with long lifespans (e.g., industrial & transportation facilities)
- Runs directly in browser without the need for plug-ins
- Not required to run in a browser
- Compatible with existing X3D V3.3 standard
Note that this does not require full backwards compatibility; but the ability to handle pre V4 content, perhaps with a converter.
- Allows for creation, storage, and use of content in a manner consistent with current and anticipated future practices
- Runs on as wide of variety as possible of devices capable of displaying 3D content